Blog Archives

Singing

I find black animals a challenge to paint. I took a photo of this Red-winged Blackbird a week or so ago.

I used Daniel Smith’s Goethite (Brown Ochre) for the initial wash of the bird as well as in the background. I’ve had this paint in my palette for awhile but haven’t really used it. It’s more black than brown, but I love the granulation. This version is pretty close to the photograph.

Advertisements

Shadows

The snow is beginning to go. There are bare spots in the woods and on my driveway.  The forecast for today is calling for 15 – 20 cm of snow so winter hasn’t given up just yet.

 

I try to paint a snow scene at least once a year. This is my second attempt at this one. It’s from a photo I took a few weeks ago.

Birds of a Feather

The Iguassu Falls Bird Park in Brazil is located beside the National Park containing the falls. I photographed these two macaws when I visited some years ago.

I chose to paint this photograph because of the angles the birds made with their bodies, tails and wings. In my photograph the birds looked grey and black even with adjustments to the brightness. The little bit of turquoise that I could see on one of the bird’s head as well as the yellow eye and mustache enabled me to identify them as Hyacinth Macaws. Further investigations on the internet showed their true colours.

Heron

I always look for the heron whenever I drive or walk by Grassy Bay. He isn’t always easy to see, but  he always seems to be aware of me.

 

This watercolour was painted from a photograph taken during one of my early morning walks.

Couldn’t Resist

The other week I arrived at the shopping mall early for my dental appointment. So I had time to look around the shoe store and found something I didn’t need but had to buy.

What is That?

This young fox was playing at the end of my driveway when it stopped to check out something in my yard.

 

He did catch something a few days later. I saw him as he trotted down the driveway with something in his mouth.

 

 

Plastic, Cheese Cloth and Sea Salt

I recently made these 12 cards from 1 large piece of 140 lbs Fabriano Artistico cold pressed watercolour paper. I divided the paper up using masking tape and painted each section. Some were done wet on wet, others wet on dry. I tried various techniques. I placed plastic wrap scrunched up on several. On two I placed some cheese cloth; on one I sprinkled sea salt. These were all left to dry as well as the three I left alone. After the paint dried I removed the plastic wrap, cheese cloth and salt. One of the ones with the cheese cloth had no discernible effect. I touched up some of the paintings with a second layer and splattered some paint on some. I then removed the tape and cut the sections and glued each one to a folded 1/2 piece of 8.5 x 11 card stock. I had printed the backs of the card stock with my name etc. before cutting and folding them.

These are a gift for a friend with whom I exchange handmade gifts.

Out the Back Window

I have two suet feeders because a few years ago one disappeared a week after I put it out. I bought another one and the next spring I found the original one at the edge of the lawn. So I put both out. One at the front of the house and the other hangs just outside the dining room window at the back. The front one is more popular. The back gets most of its activity when the Hairy Woodpecker is occupying the one out front.

This Downy Woodpecker is a frequent visitor to both.

Early Morning Fog

As the days get shorter it is easier to get up with the sun. The fog and the slanted rays from the sun made for some interesting photos. This watercolour was painted from one of them.

 

Butterflies

There were a lot of Monarch Butterflies around this summer. There is a field nearby full of milkweed and whenever I passed I paused and spent some time watching the Monarchs flutter from plant to plant.

Closer to home, I found this butterfly on a milkweed beside my driveway. I had to look it up to discover that it is a Pearly Eye Butterfly. I took a photograph of it and used that to sketch it using pen and ink and watercolour pencils.

Sketch of a Pearly Eye Butterfly done with watercolour pencils

I had taken lots of photographs of the Monarchs and milkweed on my walks but hadn’t yet tried to paint them when I found a dead butterfly on the road. I picked it up and took it home to sketch.

Watercolor sketch of Monarch Butterfly

Next I tackled a Monarch from one of my photos. I did the background wet in wet first and added the butterfly afterwards.

Watercolour sketch of a Monarch Butterfly.

%d bloggers like this: