Colour Personified is a needlefelted piece based on a watercolour (see post here) I did a while ago.
The curly bits are hand spun wool yarns I used to add more texture.
The other 2 pieces were:
Forest Fawn, an applique and part of the OOTB green colour challenge is here.
The latest in the series. Although I still have some of the hand painted fabric I think I will start on a different project. I have some bits drawn out in my sketchbook but the ideas haven’t yet coalesced. Maybe a few more sketches are required.
I have been working on a series of abstract hand embroideries on hand painted fabric.
I’m enjoying finding new stitches to try.
See Colour & Texture I here
I started this project after a walk on a beautiful sunny day. Using white fabric, I machine stitched shapes using a twin needle and then cut out parts. I coloured a second piece of white fabric using Caran D’Ache Neocolor II water-soluble wax pastels and Derwent Inktense Pencils. The plan for the piece evolved as the weather changed. An ice-storm brought down many branches from my pine trees and then froze them to the ground and covered them with snow.
I stitched the pine branches onto water-soluble stabilizer with the sewing machine and once the stabilizer was washed out I sewed them onto the back side of the cutouts.
I have many photographs from my trip to Iguassu Falls from both the Brazilian and Argentinian side. I’ve always wanted to do painting of the falls but felt it was too difficult. After a couple of false starts, I decided to go small and painted this 4 1/2 by 6 inch watercolour from one of the pictures.
This piece is hand embroidered on hand painted fabric.
I painted a piece of fabric (cotton/silk) with Golden Fluid Acrylics and cut it up into 6 equal pieces. This is the first piece that I have embroidered. I used the embroidery to add texture to the colour of the paint. I haven’t done a lot of hand embroidery and I’m finding it to be addictive.
I have been working on a hand embroidery project. I have been using Sulky 12 wt Cotton Petites and Linda Palaisy’s hand-dyed Soy Silk and didn’t have the right colour of thread of either in my stash. So I decided to paint some white 12 wt Sulky cotton thread using Inktense Blocks.
I wrapped a length of thread once around the clothes line and pinned it. Then, using a dampened sponge, I wet the thread.
I re-wet the sponge and wrung it out. Using the side of a Derwent Inktense Block I coloured the damp sponge. Holding on to the end of the thread to keep it taut I wiped the sponge up and down the thread making sure it was completely covered.
After rinsing out the remaining colour. I covered the sponge with a second, darker colour.
I then coloured over parts of the thread.
After the thread dries I will iron it and then re-wet it and use a sponge or old wash cloth to remove the excess colour.
Last summer I was visited by a young deer that spent quite a bit of time outside the window at my cottage in Calabogie.
Here are two watercolour sketches I did recently from the photographs I took.
This is one of 3 pages of quick pen sketches I did of the deer. I don’t do enough of these. I tend to grab my camera first. He spent so much time here, I was able to get many photographs as well as 3 pages of sketches. As you can see there are no antlers in the pen sketches. I only noticed them when I had the photos up on the computer.