The Green Man started out as an exercise to use techniques that I learned in a Robin Foley workshop to build up areas of a face using batting. The original workshop used a carved styrofoam block as a starting point. For this project I started with a flat surface. Once I had built up the areas and “skinned” it, I needle sculpted the wrinkles and painted it with soft pastels. Then it sat for a few years and became lost in my studio.
My local doll club, All Dolled Up, had a UFO (UnFinished Object) challenge so I found my Little Green Man and decided to put him on a background. I painted a prepared canvas with pastels and attached the head to it with acrylic medium. Then, I made leaves with free motion embroidery.
I put masking tale around the edges to keep the stabilizer from wrinkling as I sewed.
I also found an embroidery project in the basement. It was based on a Mola, which is a hand sewn reverse applique panel made using several layers of cloth which are cut away to reveal the layers underneath. Mine is machine sewn and it is only one layer. The image is based on my cat. I sewed it onto a bag.