Prudence is another doll whose shape was inspired by a bottle. (See Making a Pattern from a Bottle here.)
I used the sewing machine to make the hair. Using the same green thread I used in the body, I sewed straight lines on water soluble stabilizer and then sewed over it with a decorative stitch that caught both straight lines.
After washing out the stabilizer and letting it dry, I cut it up and used Fray Check to seal the ends before sewing it on the doll’s head. I marked dots on the head with a pencil as a guide.
The face was painted with pastel pencils.
Here is the completed doll.
The picture is one that I took of my nephew when he was small.
I sketched the picture and then traced it, outlining the areas with a different values.
In my embroidery software, I choose a different colour and pattern for each area. This allows me to do different versions more easily.
As these tangles originate from a photograph I seem to want to do at least one version in more realistic (but not necessarily accurate) colours.