The latest in the series. Although I still have some of the hand painted fabric I think I will start on a different project. I have some bits drawn out in my sketchbook but the ideas haven’t yet coalesced. Maybe a few more sketches are required.
I started this project after a walk on a beautiful sunny day. Using white fabric, I machine stitched shapes using a twin needle and then cut out parts. I coloured a second piece of white fabric using Caran D’Ache Neocolor II water-soluble wax pastels and Derwent Inktense Pencils. The plan for the piece evolved as the weather changed. An ice-storm brought down many branches from my pine trees and then froze them to the ground and covered them with snow.
I stitched the pine branches onto water-soluble stabilizer with the sewing machine and once the stabilizer was washed out I sewed them onto the back side of the cutouts.
I have been working on a hand embroidery project. I have been using Sulky 12 wt Cotton Petites and Linda Palaisy’s hand-dyed Soy Silk and didn’t have the right colour of thread of either in my stash. So I decided to paint some white 12 wt Sulky cotton thread using Inktense Blocks.
I wrapped a length of thread once around the clothes line and pinned it. Then, using a dampened sponge, I wet the thread.
I re-wet the sponge and wrung it out. Using the side of a Derwent Inktense Block I coloured the damp sponge. Holding on to the end of the thread to keep it taut I wiped the sponge up and down the thread making sure it was completely covered.
After rinsing out the remaining colour. I covered the sponge with a second, darker colour.
I then coloured over parts of the thread.
After the thread dries I will iron it and then re-wet it and use a sponge or old wash cloth to remove the excess colour.
This is a fused applique I recently finished for the Out of the Box colour challenge.
It is from a photograph I took of a fawn that, with its mother regularly visited my cottage in Calabogie. The deer are quite used to humans and don’t run off as long as there is a bush or a tree (and sometimes just a long piece of lumber) between you and them and you don’t get too close.
I used machine stitches on the tree trunk and branches for shading then coloured between the stitches using Derwent Inktense Blocks. The leaf detail is hand embroidered.
I was planning on making some pin dolls but they weren’t working out as I had hoped, so I started playing around with Photoshop and ended up doing another fused applique. It was supposed to be simple and quick and it was until I decided that it needed some hand embroidery.
Another fused applique wall hanging. This time I followed Roberta Russell’s “About Faces” in A for Artistic‘s Spring 2014 emagazine.
Roberta likes shoes so that is what I chose for the subject.
This week I thought I would show you the wet felted piece that didn’t make it into my doll club’s two colour challenge. (Challenge is described here.)
After choosing the colours and felting the piece I did some free motion embroidery in places and added green beads in others.
I then decided to do some hand embroidery to add some contrast. I added some french knots among the green beads.
Once I abandoned the idea of using just 2 colours I added the orange beads.