My latest fabric sculpture is an Earth Goddess. She is inspired by the colours and shapes of the ochre quarries of Rousillon, France which I visited several years ago. There is no mining of the ochre now but you can visit an old quarry.
I took this doll to the NIADA Conference in Asilomar, Pacific Grove, California, where I had a great time and met some wonderful doll artists.
In order to facilitate packing and transportation I used magnets to join the legs to the torso.
I painted her with watercolours before adding the face features with pastel pencils. I painted absorbant ground on the base before painting it with the same watercolours.
I spun the yarn for the hair on a drop spindle before sewing it to the head.
I randomly beaded the light parts of her torso, arms and legs.
She is named Poly because she has 6 fingers on each of her hands.
Some red roving had been staring at me for days, just asking to be needle felted into a piece.
I learned the technique of making the metal pieces from pop cans in a Hilary Rice workshop.
Colour Personified is a needlefelted piece based on a watercolour (see post here) I did a while ago.
The curly bits are hand spun wool yarns I used to add more texture.
The other 2 pieces were:
Forest Fawn, an applique and part of the OOTB green colour challenge is here.
The latest in the series. Although I still have some of the hand painted fabric I think I will start on a different project. I have some bits drawn out in my sketchbook but the ideas haven’t yet coalesced. Maybe a few more sketches are required.
I have been working on a series of abstract hand embroideries on hand painted fabric.
I’m enjoying finding new stitches to try.
See Colour & Texture I here
I started this project after a walk on a beautiful sunny day. Using white fabric, I machine stitched shapes using a twin needle and then cut out parts. I coloured a second piece of white fabric using Caran D’Ache Neocolor II water-soluble wax pastels and Derwent Inktense Pencils. The plan for the piece evolved as the weather changed. An ice-storm brought down many branches from my pine trees and then froze them to the ground and covered them with snow.
I stitched the pine branches onto water-soluble stabilizer with the sewing machine and once the stabilizer was washed out I sewed them onto the back side of the cutouts.
This piece is hand embroidered on hand painted fabric.
I painted a piece of fabric (cotton/silk) with Golden Fluid Acrylics and cut it up into 6 equal pieces. This is the first piece that I have embroidered. I used the embroidery to add texture to the colour of the paint. I haven’t done a lot of hand embroidery and I’m finding it to be addictive.
I have been working on a hand embroidery project. I have been using Sulky 12 wt Cotton Petites and Linda Palaisy’s hand-dyed Soy Silk and didn’t have the right colour of thread of either in my stash. So I decided to paint some white 12 wt Sulky cotton thread using Inktense Blocks.
I wrapped a length of thread once around the clothes line and pinned it. Then, using a dampened sponge, I wet the thread.
I re-wet the sponge and wrung it out. Using the side of a Derwent Inktense Block I coloured the damp sponge. Holding on to the end of the thread to keep it taut I wiped the sponge up and down the thread making sure it was completely covered.
After rinsing out the remaining colour. I covered the sponge with a second, darker colour.
I then coloured over parts of the thread.
After the thread dries I will iron it and then re-wet it and use a sponge or old wash cloth to remove the excess colour.
I finished this doll a little while ago. She is a version of the Tea Bags doll you can see here. I didn’t post it as I was busy working on things for the Almonte Fibrefest which was last weekend and Calabogie Artsfest which is coming up on October 15 & 16.
I named her Circles because her jacket is a circle and because of the pattern in her dress. I didn’t have any lace for the bottom of the dress so instead of making an 80 Km round trip to the nearest store I made some using free-motion embroidery and built-in stitches on my sewing machine on water soluble stabilizer. It took longer than the trip to the store but I’m pleased with the result.
The face is needle sculpted and painted with chalk pastels.