The individual parts of this figure had been lying around my studio for a couple of years. They happened to be sitting on my desk when I came across the original sketch I had done for the figure. I had stopped working on it because the way I wanted to do it wouldn’t work with the pieces I had created. Having the parts and the sketch together reminded me of why I wanted to do this piece. So I rearranged my thinking and the pieces and came up with a more abstract approach.
It is made with thread machine embroidered onto water soluble stabilizer.
This piece was started by needle felting wool roving on cotton. I then sewed various free motion shapes on water soluble stabilizer and once the stabilizer was dissolved out I sewed them on over the felt.
The subject was inspired by a tree I saw while driving to my cottage.
Last weekend I took a course given by Megan Cleland on needle felting animals. The course was given at Fibrefest in Almonte. It was a small class and Megan gave excellent instruction and demos. I chose to do a Great Blue Heron from one of the photographs taken on a morning walk. I thought I was finished when I left the class but since then I’ve done the back ground 3 times. I then removed a lot of it because it was too busy.
I’ve painted the heron in watercolours several times and that helped me in doing this picture. The felting is easier but takes longer to do even if you don’t remove what you’ve needle felted in place several times.
It is now pinned up on a wall so I can look at it and decide if there is anything else I need to add or change before I mount it.
My latest fabric sculpture is an Earth Goddess. She is inspired by the colours and shapes of the ochre quarries of Rousillon, France which I visited several years ago. There is no mining of the ochre now but you can visit an old quarry.
I took this doll to the NIADA Conference in Asilomar, Pacific Grove, California, where I had a great time and met some wonderful doll artists.
In order to facilitate packing and transportation I used magnets to join the legs to the torso.
I painted her with watercolours before adding the face features with pastel pencils. I painted absorbant ground on the base before painting it with the same watercolours.
I spun the yarn for the hair on a drop spindle before sewing it to the head.
I randomly beaded the light parts of her torso, arms and legs.
She is named Poly because she has 6 fingers on each of her hands.
Some red roving had been staring at me for days, just asking to be needle felted into a piece.
I learned the technique of making the metal pieces from pop cans in a Hilary Rice workshop.
Colour Personified is a needlefelted piece based on a watercolour (see post here) I did a while ago.
The curly bits are hand spun wool yarns I used to add more texture.
The other 2 pieces were:
Forest Fawn, an applique and part of the OOTB green colour challenge is here.
The latest in the series. Although I still have some of the hand painted fabric I think I will start on a different project. I have some bits drawn out in my sketchbook but the ideas haven’t yet coalesced. Maybe a few more sketches are required.
I have been working on a series of abstract hand embroideries on hand painted fabric.
I’m enjoying finding new stitches to try.
See Colour & Texture I here
I started this project after a walk on a beautiful sunny day. Using white fabric, I machine stitched shapes using a twin needle and then cut out parts. I coloured a second piece of white fabric using Caran D’Ache Neocolor II water-soluble wax pastels and Derwent Inktense Pencils. The plan for the piece evolved as the weather changed. An ice-storm brought down many branches from my pine trees and then froze them to the ground and covered them with snow.
I stitched the pine branches onto water-soluble stabilizer with the sewing machine and once the stabilizer was washed out I sewed them onto the back side of the cutouts.