Blog Archives

Harry

I haven’t had any turkeys visiting me this winter. Last winter there were three groups that came fairly regularly. Occasionally they all would be here at the same time. This is one of the turkeys of a group of three that visited the most often and continued into the spring and early summer. The first time I saw the group it consisted of 3 adult males. During the winter one of the males was replaced by a female. The other two groups were larger and consisted of juveniles. One group was usually all male (8-10) and the other a mixture (11-13).  I think there was some movement between the 2 groups.
watercolour portrait of a wild turkeyThe group of three came so often that they learned not to be afraid of me and I learned to distinguish between the two males. This is Harry.

 

 

Advertisements

Notans

I recently watched a video demonstration by Dory Kantor on Notans.  Traditionally these are done cutting out black paper and gluing the results to white paper.  In the video Dory uses colour and that was a major stimulus for me to give it a try.

I started by experimenting with face shapes. Once they were done I traced and scanned them and then used my embroidery software to make embroidery patterns.

Notan-face-1r

notan-3colours-

 

Face-notan-2t

 

 

Next I tried a flower shape and I cheated on this one as I changed it while I was tracing it to get the form and shapes I wanted.

notan-iris-machine-embroidered

 

 

Then, just for fun I did cat silhouettes.

3-cats-machine-embroidered

All the embroideries are done on white organza.

 

 

Off with Their Heads

I’ve been working on a new doll.  I haven’t gotten very far as I’ve been trying to get a certain head shape in cloth.  I’ve done several versions making little changes to each successive model.

 

fibre-art-cloth-heads

Off with Their Heads

 

I partially needle sculpted one – it helps to round out the pointy chin.

 

 

 

I have one more ready to stuff.  I’m hoping it’s the one!

Face quilt block

Recently All Dolled Up presented a quilt made by the members to our former president, Margo. The theme was faces.  I contributed the following block.

face quilt block

Hand appliqued quilt block

The fabric hair is three-dimensional; it is tacked down at the bottom of each curl.  The eyes are beaded.

Visit the All Dolled Up blog to see the quilt and close-ups of each block.

Not Just A Pretty Face

I recently opened my beading tray to do some beading and found a face pin that I had started months ago but never finished.

I finished that pin and started another.

I always start with the eyes, nose and mouth.  I next add any large pattern areas

before filling in the rest of the face.  Then I add the hair.

When all the beading is done, I sew a pin onto some cutaway stabilizer and sew that onto the back of the pin.

%d bloggers like this: