My latest fabric sculpture is an Earth Goddess. She is inspired by the colours and shapes of the ochre quarries of Rousillon, France which I visited several years ago. There is no mining of the ochre now but you can visit an old quarry.
I took this doll to the NIADA Conference in Asilomar, Pacific Grove, California, where I had a great time and met some wonderful doll artists.
In order to facilitate packing and transportation I used magnets to join the legs to the torso.
I painted her with watercolours before adding the face features with pastel pencils. I painted absorbant ground on the base before painting it with the same watercolours.
I spun the yarn for the hair on a drop spindle before sewing it to the head.
I randomly beaded the light parts of her torso, arms and legs.
She is named Poly because she has 6 fingers on each of her hands.
Another fused applique wall hanging. This time I followed Roberta Russell’s “About Faces” in A for Artistic‘s Spring 2014 emagazine.
Roberta likes shoes so that is what I chose for the subject.
Recently All Dolled Up presented a quilt made by the members to our former president, Margo. The theme was faces. I contributed the following block.
The fabric hair is three-dimensional; it is tacked down at the bottom of each curl. The eyes are beaded.
Visit the All Dolled Up blog to see the quilt and close-ups of each block.
Ol’ Man Winter is a cloth doll that I made several years ago.
He has a beaded cape, knitted scarf, an icicle (glass) for a staff and needled sculpted wrinkles.
I think he us very appropriate for today as it was -25º C when I got up, and we are supposed to get snow tonight.
There’s a fire in the wood stove in the basement so it’s quite nice and warm inside.
It’s now up to -22º C ( -29 with the wind chill) so I think it will be a good day to stay inside.
I recently opened my beading tray to do some beading and found a face pin that I had started months ago but never finished.
I always start with the eyes, nose and mouth. I next add any large pattern areas
before filling in the rest of the face. Then I add the hair.
When all the beading is done, I sew a pin onto some cutaway stabilizer and sew that onto the back of the pin.
This week I thought I would show you the wet felted piece that didn’t make it into my doll club’s two colour challenge. (Challenge is described here.)
After choosing the colours and felting the piece I did some free motion embroidery in places and added green beads in others.
I then decided to do some hand embroidery to add some contrast. I added some french knots among the green beads.
Once I abandoned the idea of using just 2 colours I added the orange beads.