Category Archives: Machine embroidery
I started this project after a walk on a beautiful sunny day. Using white fabric, I machine stitched shapes using a twin needle and then cut out parts. I coloured a second piece of white fabric using Caran D’Ache Neocolor II water-soluble wax pastels and Derwent Inktense Pencils. The plan for the piece evolved as the weather changed. An ice-storm brought down many branches from my pine trees and then froze them to the ground and covered them with snow.
I stitched the pine branches onto water-soluble stabilizer with the sewing machine and once the stabilizer was washed out I sewed them onto the back side of the cutouts.
I recently watched a video demonstration by Dory Kantor on Notans. Traditionally these are done cutting out black paper and gluing the results to white paper. In the video Dory uses colour and that was a major stimulus for me to give it a try.
I started by experimenting with face shapes. Once they were done I traced and scanned them and then used my embroidery software to make embroidery patterns.
Next I tried a flower shape and I cheated on this one as I changed it while I was tracing it to get the form and shapes I wanted.
Then, just for fun I did cat silhouettes.
All the embroideries are done on white organza.
This is a fused applique I recently finished for the Out of the Box colour challenge.
It is from a photograph I took of a fawn that, with its mother regularly visited my cottage in Calabogie. The deer are quite used to humans and don’t run off as long as there is a bush or a tree (and sometimes just a long piece of lumber) between you and them and you don’t get too close.
I used machine stitches on the tree trunk and branches for shading then coloured between the stitches using Derwent Inktense Blocks. The leaf detail is hand embroidered.
My doll club (All Dolled Up) and FAC (Figurative Artists Consortium) are planning a fibre art and doll making retreat in June. We will be gathering at the local community college for a weekend of learning and sharing while having a lot of fun. Most of us will stay in the residence as there will be lots to do in the evenings as well.
Several members of All Dolled Up and some non-members are contributing items to the delegate bag that will be handed out to all who register. I have made a number of embroidered fridge magnets that will be included in the delegate bags.
Each one is a little over 1 inch square. They are all the same design but I have made several different colour versions. They are machine embroidered.
I’m looking forward to the retreat; I know it is going to be a lot of fun.
Prudence is another doll whose shape was inspired by a bottle. (See Making a Pattern from a Bottle here.)
I used the sewing machine to make the hair. Using the same green thread I used in the body, I sewed straight lines on water soluble stabilizer and then sewed over it with a decorative stitch that caught both straight lines.
After washing out the stabilizer and letting it dry, I cut it up and used Fray Check to seal the ends before sewing it on the doll’s head. I marked dots on the head with a pencil as a guide.
The face was painted with pastel pencils.
Here is the completed doll.
The picture is one that I took of my nephew when he was small.
I sketched the picture and then traced it, outlining the areas with a different values.
In my embroidery software, I choose a different colour and pattern for each area. This allows me to do different versions more easily.
As these tangles originate from a photograph I seem to want to do at least one version in more realistic (but not necessarily accurate) colours.
I have completed 2 dolls this past week. Both are based on bottle shapes and have been seen here in their unfinished forms.
This is what the dolls looked like the last time you saw them.
For Passion I removed the panel and then emphasized the twist with beading.
Sherry involved a lot more work. I made free motion large flowers and leaves. I tried to do some smaller ones in free motion, but ended up using my embroidery software and machine embroidering them. They all had to be sewn on by hand with invisible thread.
I have finished one of the dolls using the pattern I made from a bottle. I have named her Portia.
I wanted to keep the shape of the bottle so I didn’t add arms.
Here are 2 of the 4 pieces embroidered from the pattern I created last week.
So the resulting shape is a little twisted.
I took out the piece with the inset and sewed it back together.
I went back to the pattern and fixed it up and stitched out another version which looks more like what I originally had in mind.
I will add bases and stuff these, add heads and maybe arms.