Category Archives: Free Motion Embroidery
The 3 pieces shown here today are small pieces (6 x 6, 6 X 8 and 6 x 12 inches) and all depict trees. All three were needle felted onto cotton fabric.
For the one on the left, I hand-spun wool in tight curls to use as the foliage.
This next one was on my blog previously. It uses free motion embroidery over the wool for added dimenson and texture.
The small pieces will be grouped according to colour around a larger similarly coloured piece.
Summer Fibrations promises to be a fabulous show with 215 fibre art pieces of various techniques and colours. Hope you get a chance to come to Almonte to see it.
My next post will feature my larger pieces that are in the show.
The individual parts of this figure had been lying around my studio for a couple of years. They happened to be sitting on my desk when I came across the original sketch I had done for the figure. I had stopped working on it because the way I wanted to do it wouldn’t work with the pieces I had created. Having the parts and the sketch together reminded me of why I wanted to do this piece. So I rearranged my thinking and the pieces and came up with a more abstract approach.
It is made with thread machine embroidered onto water soluble stabilizer.
This piece was started by needle felting wool roving on cotton. I then sewed various free motion shapes on water soluble stabilizer and once the stabilizer was dissolved out I sewed them on over the felt.
The subject was inspired by a tree I saw while driving to my cottage.
I finished this doll a little while ago. She is a version of the Tea Bags doll you can see here. I didn’t post it as I was busy working on things for the Almonte Fibrefest which was last weekend and Calabogie Artsfest which is coming up on October 15 & 16.
I named her Circles because her jacket is a circle and because of the pattern in her dress. I didn’t have any lace for the bottom of the dress so instead of making an 80 Km round trip to the nearest store I made some using free-motion embroidery and built-in stitches on my sewing machine on water soluble stabilizer. It took longer than the trip to the store but I’m pleased with the result.
The face is needle sculpted and painted with chalk pastels.
I was planning on making some pin dolls but they weren’t working out as I had hoped, so I started playing around with Photoshop and ended up doing another fused applique. It was supposed to be simple and quick and it was until I decided that it needed some hand embroidery.
On one of my recent early morning walks I came face to face with the local fox. After staring at each other for a few seconds I tried to turn my camera on and get the lens cap off and s/he took off down the road. The fox turned off down a neighbour’s driveway. By the time I got to the driveway it was gone. I glanced around and in another neighbour’s back yard, across the road, was a very large raccoon. He gave me lots of time to take pictures.
This fused applique was much easier to do than my previous ones as it has fewer pieces. The quilting took a little longer as I outlined the background flowers and partially thread painted some of them, following the details in the fabric.
Another fused applique wall hanging. This time I followed Roberta Russell’s “About Faces” in A for Artistic‘s Spring 2014 emagazine.
Roberta likes shoes so that is what I chose for the subject.
This fused applique portrait is a bit more complicated than my previous ones.
I used 5 fabrics instead of 4 and there were many more pieces to cut out. There were 19 pieces of the pink and 30 pieces of the yellow fabric. It felt like I was cutting for days!
Once it was all pieced together I realized that the green fabric wasn’t dark enough so I coloured it using Inktense Blocks and a paintbrush. I left the pattern (gold, red, etc) in the fabric untouched.
I used a photograph that I took of a Golden Eagle at the Alberta Birds of Prey Centre in Coaldale, Alberta.
I have finished my latest project.
I described in a previous post (here) how I prepared the pattern from an old photograph.
I dyed the pale green fabric using inks because I couldn’t find the fabric I was sure I had bought to use in this project. (I found the fabric a minute after I finished the piece.)
The hair and background were quilted using free motion embroidery.
I think this seahorse must be a little cold.
It has snowed for 2 days and now it has turned to freezing rain.
I usually use rayon thread to free motion embroider the fins but this time I used variegated cotton.
I’m looking forward to seeing some of my family for Christmas.
Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.