Monthly Archives: January 2017
This piece is hand embroidered on hand painted fabric.
I painted a piece of fabric (cotton/silk) with Golden Fluid Acrylics and cut it up into 6 equal pieces. This is the first piece that I have embroidered. I used the embroidery to add texture to the colour of the paint. I haven’t done a lot of hand embroidery and I’m finding it to be addictive.
I have been working on a hand embroidery project. I have been using Sulky 12 wt Cotton Petites and Linda Palaisy’s hand-dyed Soy Silk and didn’t have the right colour of thread of either in my stash. So I decided to paint some white 12 wt Sulky cotton thread using Inktense Blocks.
I wrapped a length of thread once around the clothes line and pinned it. Then, using a dampened sponge, I wet the thread.
I re-wet the sponge and wrung it out. Using the side of a Derwent Inktense Block I coloured the damp sponge. Holding on to the end of the thread to keep it taut I wiped the sponge up and down the thread making sure it was completely covered.
After rinsing out the remaining colour. I covered the sponge with a second, darker colour.
I then coloured over parts of the thread.
After the thread dries I will iron it and then re-wet it and use a sponge or old wash cloth to remove the excess colour.