PHD

Project Half Done.

I have started my next fabric portrait.  I have chosen one of my Dad’s old slides’s to work from.

family photo

This is a picture of my mother, myself and my sister from a long time ago.

I cropped the photo and changed it to black and white.

cropped photo in B & W I used the posterize filter  and then played with the result in Photoshop Elements to adjust it.   My adjustments resulted in the following.

Posterize

It has 4 value areas instead of the original 5.  (I hadn’t liked the result Photoshop gave me with the 4 values.)  It doesn’t look as child-like as the original photo, but that’s not what I’m looking for.

My next step was to use the find edges filter.

using the find edges filterI will print this then trace it (possibly making more adjustments) to produce my pattern.

Advertisements

Posted on March 8, 2014, in Figurative Art, Quilting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 7 Comments.

  1. Wow Nancy! What a great picture and idea. I’ve always wanted to do something like this. Can’t wait to see how you finish it. Thanks for sharing
    Kem
    MSc (must soon complete)

  2. Really like this process

  1. Pingback: Keeping Watch | OrangePurpleGreen

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: