Printing on Fabric

I want to make a quilt for a new bed that I will be getting soon.  I would like to print some of my watercolours and other art onto fabric and use that as the basis for my quilt.  I used to have a recipe for treating fabric with Ultra Downy® so that the print would be permanent but I can’t find it anywhere.  I searched online and found some instructions that were different from what I remembered.  So I decided to experiment using a combination of what I found on the internet and what I remembered.

I used a photo that I had of my watercolour  “Strangled”.  I resized it so that it would fit on a 8 1/2  X 11 sheet with room for  seam allowances.

Strangled – Watercolour

I first washed the fabric (100% cotton pillow ticking)  in  Synthapol®  following the directions on the bottle. This is to remove the sizing from the fabric.  I then removed some of the fabric (for a control) and placed the remaining cotton, still wet, in a container filled with equal amounts of Unscented Ultra Downy®  and water.  After 30 minutes I drained the solution from the fabric and hung it up to dry.

24 hours later I cut a piece of prepared fabric and a piece of my control fabric and ironed each onto a piece of  freezer paper. I recut each of these to 8 1/2 X 11. I labelled both pieces with a tiny mark in what would be the seam allowance of the fabric. This was so I could tell which piece of fabric had been treated.  I taped the leading edge of the freezer paper/fabric  and fed each into the printer separately.

I printed the picture on both sheets using  plain paper and best quality settings.

printed fabric before washing

There was no significant difference between the two results after printing.

After waiting another 24 hours for the ink to dry, I removed the freezer paper and ironed the two pieces of fabric on both sides.  I waited until the fabric cooled and then washed each separately.

The piece that had been treated with Ultra Downy  left a little bit of colour in the water. The colour of untreated piece was almost entirely washed away.

Fabric -printed, washed and ironed.

The red didn’t come out as well as I would have liked.  It didn’t wash away; it wasn’t there in the print.

Posted on November 28, 2012, in Quilting, Watercolours and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: