Monthly Archives: September 2012

More Fun with Sea Horses

I’ve been writing up a pattern for my sea horses.

Sea Horse with Ribbon Fins

Sea Horse with Ribbon Fins

Some might not want to do the free motion fins (even though it isn’t hard and it’s a lot of fun) so I’ll be including instructions on using ribbon for the fins and beads and sequins for the eyes.

This will be my first pattern.  It is quite simple and, therefore,  a good place to start.

Sea Horse with Embroidered Fins

Another sea horse with embroidered fins

Not Just A Pretty Face

I recently opened my beading tray to do some beading and found a face pin that I had started months ago but never finished.

I finished that pin and started another.

I always start with the eyes, nose and mouth.  I next add any large pattern areas

before filling in the rest of the face.  Then I add the hair.

When all the beading is done, I sew a pin onto some cutaway stabilizer and sew that onto the back of the pin.

Wet Felting with Embroidery and Beading

This week I thought I would show you the wet felted piece that didn’t make it into my doll club’s two colour challenge. (Challenge is described here.)

wet felting

After choosing the colours and felting the piece I did some free motion embroidery in places and added green beads in others.

free motion embroidery, hand embroidery and beads

I then decided to do some hand embroidery to add some contrast.  I added some french knots among the green beads.

detail including french knots

Once I  abandoned the idea of using just 2 colours I added the orange beads.

detail

Dancing on Air

The  first All Dolled Up meeting of the season is this weekend and I have to have my summer challenge piece ready.   Last spring we picked two colour chips out of a bag and our challenge was to create a fibre art piece (it doesn’t have to be a doll) using those 2 colours.  It should be obvious from our piece what the 2 colours were.  I decided to do a wet  felted wall hanging.  I didn’t have the right colours but thought that if I mixed what I had it might come close.  It didn’t.  Then I lost the 2 colour chips.  I’m pretty sure that I know what the colours are.  I have embroidery threads that are pretty close, so I decided to do one of my free motion dancers using the 2 colours.   I used the lighter blue for the background and the aqua green for the figure.

I photographed the figure on a white wall as well as outside. 

Free Motion Dancer Detail

Then I had the idea to do a black figure on a white background.

On a white wall, the white lace almost disappears.

Free Motion Dancer Detail

%d bloggers like this: