I have made two more fabric fish. Choosing fabric was easy for the fish I did last week. It’s relatively easy to match black and white patterned material. It’s a little harder when you move into colour. In going through my stash to find and match the right fabric, I realized that I could organize my fabrics a little better. Right now I have one translucent plastic bin for plain coloured cotton and 4 of patterned cotton. All the black and white fabric is in the same bin but that’s the extent of the organization. One of these days I must figure out a better system and then reorganize.
So, after hours of sorting through the bins and auditioning different fabrics, I found 2 sets that would work. Choosing the thread for the fins didn’t take as long. I decided on a bright pink for one set and, of course, I had a darker pink and a lighter pink but not the shade I wanted. So I embroidered the fins with the darker shade and then changed the bobbin and top thread to the lighter shade and embroidered over the first colour, leaving a lot of it to show through. The overall effect is now the right shade.
After washing out the stabilizer and setting the fins aside to dry I was all set to sew them onto the fish body. I couldn’t find one of the pectoral fins. So back to the sewing machine to redo the missing fin. Usually when this happens I find the lost piece as soon as I finish the replacement but not this time.
The second fish went a little easier.