Monthly Archives: March 2012

Sherry and Passion

I have completed 2 dolls this past week.  Both are based on bottle shapes and have been seen here in their unfinished forms.

Passion unfinished

Sherry unfinished

This is what the dolls looked like the last time you saw them.

For Passion I removed the panel and then emphasized the twist with beading.

Sherry involved a lot more work. I made free motion large flowers and leaves.  I tried to do some smaller ones in free motion, but ended up using my embroidery software and machine embroidering them.  They all had to be sewn on by hand with invisible thread.

Portia

I have finished one of the dolls using the pattern I made from a bottle.  I have named her Portia.

I wanted to keep the shape of the bottle so I didn’t add arms.

Portia - Detail

I used the same green thread for her hair as I used in the embroidery.  I altered the pattern for the stopper of the bottle by adding a nose and a chin to make the head.

Oops!

Mistakes happen.

Here are 2 of the 4  pieces embroidered from the pattern I created last week.

Unfortunately I forgot a very important step. I forgot to check the pattern to make sure that it was symmetrical.

So the resulting shape is a little twisted.

I took out the piece with the inset and sewed it back together.

It still is twisted but l can use this.

I went back to the pattern and fixed it up and stitched out another version which looks more like what I originally had in mind.

I will add bases and stuff these, add heads and maybe arms.

Embroidery Detail

Making a Pattern from a Bottle

I found some bottles in the local thrift shop that had interesting shapes.  I could see a doll in one of them so I  decided to copy the shape.

In order to make a pattern from the bottle, I first cover it in Glad Press’n Seal® with the sticky side out.  Then I cover that with duct tape.  The bottom of the bottle is also covered.

I wanted to use the top as a head so I covered that as well.  I didn’t want the flare at the top of the bottle so that isn’t covered.  I cut the Press’n Seal/Duct tape cover off the bottle and top, divided it in half and then in quarters.  I used one quarter, and cut darts to make it lie flat.

All that is left to do is trace the pattern. I usually scan it and digitize it in my software to create an embroidery pattern, but I could also add seam allowances and use fabric to make the bottle.

%d bloggers like this: